Skunks are known for their awful odor spray, which is considered a defense mechanism. Thus, it’s a threat to pets, people, and even vehicles. They can release their spray on the windows, porches, garages, basements, and almost everywhere. So, you have to learn how to get rid of skunks and their odor.
How to neutralize skunk odor? To neutralize skunk odor, here are some helpful ways:
- Covering or discarding the source of the odor
- Open the area for air ventilation
- Apply or wash the affected area or object with deodorant
- Masking the residual odor coming from cloth or fabric using laundry detergent
- Use the following formulas: ¼ cup baking soda; a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide; one or two teaspoons of dishwashing liquid soap
Once you’re aware of them, you won’t panic when you need to eliminate the odor, especially if it’s on your face. You’re also sure that you’re doing the right thing with the proper guidance from this article.
How Do You Get Rid of Skunk Smell Fast?
All you need to get rid of the skunk smell fast is baking soda and hot water. Dilute 2 to 4 cups of baking soda into hot water and voila! Instant skunk odor remover. This solution is even safe for humans, pets, and fabrics.
How Do You Get Rid of the Skunk Smell in the House?
- By opening your windows, you allow the sun to enter your house to oxidize and quicken the disappearance of the terrible smell. Turn on AC or central heating for air circulation.
- Next, boil vinegar in a pot for an hour. The liquid replenishes as it evaporates. The smell of the vinegar is temporary, but the skunk odor is eliminated for sure.
- Place a bowl of vinegar in every room for around two or three days. Instead of bowls, you can pick inexpensive containers and punch holes on their lids. This paves the way to the absorption of vinegar for odor neutralization.
- Beddings, clothing, and launderable fabrics should be placed in a washer and put in the highest setting. Apart from laundry detergent, add half a cup of baking soda. Perform this method twice for best results. It’s best to air dry as the drying machine tends to bake the odor in the fabric.
- Steam cleaning will do for curtains, carpets, mattresses, couches, and those with soft surfaces that can be laundered.
- When the odor sticks on hard surfaces, mixing 1:9 with water can remove it. Before working on the whole area, you have to test it first in a small spot to see if it damages or discolors.
- A formula that can neutralize odor: ¼ cup baking soda ; a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide ; one or two teaspoons of dishwashing liquid soap .
These ingredients should be mixed in an open container and utilized immediately. Never prepare it in advance or pour it into a closed container because it can explode. This mixture can be applied on pets and humans but don’t let it touch the mouth or eyes.
How Long Does it Take for Skunk Smell to Go Away?
If left untreated, the skunk smell remains in textiles and surfaces for months. It’s the reason why it’s recommended to work on getting rid of it within an hour from the moment the spray was released.
Will Skunk Smell Go Away on its Own?
Skunk smell can go away on its own, but it takes time. Depending on the situation and severity of the odor, it can go away in days, weeks, or months. This is why it’s best to take immediate action.
How Do I Deskunk My House?
Here’s how you can deskunk your house:
- Don’t waste time and work on getting rid of skunk smell from people, pets, and things thoroughly and hastily. You’ll struggle with the removal if you let it stay for a longer period.
- Work outside the house, so you can avoid and completely stop the spreading of the odor in other furniture and rooms. It’s best to be at a safe distance from your home.
- Shower rigorously, apply the appropriate hygienic products, and use any de-skunking solution mentioned in this article.
- When clothing has been sprayed a great deal, it’s best to throw it away rather than trying to save it. The skunk odor lingers on the fabric for a long period.
Does Dawn Dish Soap Get Rid of Skunk Smell?
Yes. For even better results, you can use it together with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. The dawn dish soap works as a degreaser which removes the oily skunk spray then the baking soda and hydrogen peroxide acts as deodorizers.
Does Tomato Juice Help With Skunk Smell?
No, this is just an online myth and urban legend. Tomato juice doesn’t help a lot with the skunk smell because it only masks the odor. Then, the skunk smell returns. It doesn’t destroy or oxidize components that deliver the odor. These effects are confirmed by an expert.
Does Rain Wash Away Skunk Smell?
Rain doesn’t exactly wash away the skunk smell as it is simply water. It only helps with quicker dissipation. You would still need to use one of the solutions mentioned in this article to completely remove skunk odor.
Can a Groomer Get Skunk Smell Out?
A groomer can get a skunk smell out as it’s included in the grooming services. They have suitable shampoo and other cleaning products that can remove skunk odor from fur.
Does Toothpaste Get Rid of Skunk Smell?
Toothpaste can get rid of the skunk smell that adheres to a dog’s fur. Simply squeeze some of the product onto dog fur, let it dry for about 20 minutes, then brush it out.
How Do I Deskunk My Dog?
You can deskunk a dog starts by making a solution composed of a quarter cup of baking soda, a quart of 3% hydrogen peroxide, and one or two teaspoons of mild dishwashing detergent such as Ivory Snow .
After mixing them in a bucket, use it immediately. Apply this foaming mixture to the dog’s coat and let it stay for five minutes. Rinse with warm water and lather with shampoo. It’s advisable to do this method first before bathing your dog.
How Do You Get a Skunk Smell Off a Dog Without Peroxide?
You can use a commercial de-skunking product like De-Skunk Odor Destroying Shampoo for Dogs and Clean+Green Professional Strength Deskunk . Let it soak on the dog’s fur for ten minutes, so it breaks up the oil. Another option is to mix a part of water with two parts of vinegar.
Will Vinegar Get Rid of Skunk Smell on Dogs?
With gloves on, wet your dog’s fur and work one section at a time. You can begin with the part that has been sprayed. Let it stay for five minutes to get the most of vinegar’s deodorizing properties. Rinse and expect to repeat the process twice or thrice. The vinegar’s scent will vanish in two or three days.
Can Skunk Spray Hurt a Dog?
Yes, skunk spray has malathion that is also found in onions and garlic. These spices are confirmed to be lethal to dogs. When a dog has ingested the spray, it will begin to throw up and suffer from diarrhea.
Can Breathing in Skunk Smell Make You Sick?
Breathing in skunk smell can make you sick. Here are some adverse effects that you can experience.
- Nausea. There’s a reason why skunks are famous for their stomach-turning smell as it’s nauseous as well. When the spray gets into a person’s mouth, throwing up and diarrhea will come up.
- Respiratory problems. The spray odor also affects an individual’s respiratory system. There will be breathing issues and even asthma.
- Eyesight issues. When the spray touches your eyes, you’ll feel them burning, irritating, and itching. It can cause blindness as well if it hits a sensitive spot in your eyes.
List of Sources
Baird, C. S. (2013). How does tomato juice make skunk smell go away?
Gervais, J. A., Luukinen, B., Buhl, K., & Stone, D. (2009). Malathion General Fact Sheet.
Vantassel, S. M., Hygnstrom, S. E., & Ferraro, D. M. (2011). Removing Skunk Odor.
- How to Get Rid of Turtles | Proven Long-Term Solutions! - August 26, 2023
- How to Get Rid of Kingsnakes | Easy & Humane! - August 26, 2023
- How to Get Rid of Northern Water Snakes | Best Solutions and Preventative Measures! - August 19, 2023