Are Slugs Poisonous to Humans and Pets? | All You Need to Know!

Some slugs may look frightening because of the stripes on their bodies and the various hues that make them appear more dangerous, plus their slime gives an appearance that it might be poisonous.

Are slugs poisonous to humans and pets? Despite their frightening appearance, slugs, in general, are not poisonous. That’s right; they don’t contain any poisonous components, and neither does the slime they generate.

Even though slugs are not poisonous, they are not completely harmless to humans and pets. In this article, you’ll go over everything you need to know about numerous types of slugs, how they look, what they eat, and the harm they pose to humans and to pets.

How to Identify a Slug?

How to Identify a Slug

Slugs resemble a large, plump worm with two eyestalks and two tiny tentacles below it. Their skin is always moist, and a layer of slimy mucus frequently covers it. To put it simply, they are like snails without a shell.

What Attracts Slugs?

Slugs are attracted to moist soil and wooden logs. The slugs are prone to dehydration so they search for moist or wet soil to keep their bodies hydrated. They also find shelter under wooden logs because they contain a lot of moisture and water.

What Do Slugs Eat?

What Do Slugs Eat

Though slugs mainly feed on plants, they eat almost everything. Slugs are mostly scavengers. They eat dead plants, fungi, dead animals, and feces in most cases.

Are Slugs Harmful?

Are Slugs Poisonous to Humans?

Slugs are not poisonous to humans, but they may carry diseases that can harm humans. Australian experts have found that slugs can carry an illness known as Rat lungworm disease. Since slugs are more on scavenging, they are prone to be carriers of different kinds of parasites. Symptoms include headaches, stiff neck, tingling or soreness in the skin, fever, nausea, and vomiting.

Are Slugs Poisonous to Dogs?

Slugs are not poisonous to dogs. Dogs and humans have a comparable condition when it comes to slug-borne sickness. A lungworm parasite is very harmful to dogs. Dogs have a higher possibility of consuming a slug. The most typical signs of lungworm illness in dogs are behavioral changes, breathing difficulties, coughing, diarrhea, vomiting, and loss of appetite.

Are Slugs Poisonous to Cats?

Slugs are not poisonous to your cat. However, cats can obtain a lungworm parasite from slugs in the same way that dogs can get it from infected slugs. After swallowing a parasite-infected slug, cats may experience symptoms similar to those seen in dogs with lungworm illness.

Are Slugs Poisonous to Birds?

Slugs are not a poison to birds; instead, slugs are a food source for birds.  Some gardeners are using birds as natural slug killers since birds like to eat slugs, especially smaller ones.

Are Slugs Poisonous to Rabbits?

Slugs cannot be harmful to rabbits. Rabbits are vegetarians and don’t consume slugs deliberately, making them less likely to have lungworm illness than dogs and cats.

Are Baby Slugs Poisonous?

Are Baby Slugs Poisonous

Baby slugs are not poisonous. They do, however, have the same possibilities of contracting diseases as a result of what they eat. Just like matured slugs, baby slugs can also become disease carriers that may be harmful to pets and humans.

What Are the Most Common Type of Slugs Roaming Your House?

The gray field slug, also known as the gray garden slug, is the most frequent slug species that can be found in your house. They can also be found in gardens, parks, and even on the side of the road. However, other common types of slugs are abundant in homes that will be discussed in the next sections.

Are Tiger Slugs Poisonous?

As their name suggests, the stripes on their bodies give them the appearance of being toxic, but these slugs are not poisonous.

Are Leopard Print Slugs Poisonous?

They resemble Tiger slugs in appearance and have a deadly-looking print on their bodies; however, these slugs are not poisonous.

Are Black Slugs Poisonous?

These slugs are usually black; however, some might be brown or close to orange in color. These slugs are also very common near houses and gardens. These slugs are not poisonous.

Are Leatherleaf Slugs Poisonous?

These slugs are slightly different from the common slugs. Their body is flat, and a mantle-like material is covering them. Even though they have different body structures, they are not poisonous.

Do Slugs Have Teeth?

Do Slugs Have Teeth

Slugs have teeth. In fact, they have a radula, which is a flexible ring of thousands of microscopic teeth. That’s what they use to nibble and chew on their food.

Do Slugs Bite?

Slugs eat through their mouths. They do not bite humans or pets on purpose. Slugs are small creatures with mouths that aren’t powerful enough to scrape you seriously.

What Do Slugs Hate?

What Do Slugs Hate

Even though slugs love vegetables, there are some specific vegetables that they hate. They hate vegetables and herbs that are spicy and bitter. Slugs also hate plants with a strong smell like mint, lavender, chives, garlic, and fennel.

What Kills Slugs Instantly?

Salt is the most popular way to kill slugs quickly. Put a good amount of salt on the slug, and it will instantly kill it.

Do Slugs Feel Pain From Salt?

Do Slugs Feel Pain From Salt

Because slugs must stay hydrated in order to survive, salt might affect their hydration. Though you can’t be sure if they experience pain, you may presume that if salt is applied to them, they will feel discomfort until they die. The slugs wiggle as their reaction, and they appear to be in pain.

Does Gravel Deter Slugs?

Slugs are deterred by gravel. The slugs prefer moist or wet soil; therefore, they will avoid gravel.

How to Get Rid of Slugs Naturally?

Planting more plants that slugs despise is the most frequent approach to get rid of slugs. If you have plants with strong scents such as mint, lavender, chives, and spicy herbs, slugs will avoid your residence.

What Are the Best Slug Repellents?

The best approach to keep slugs at bay is to use natural methods. They will stay away from plants that they despise. Slug pellets can also be used.

What Are Slug Pellets?

Slug pellets are poisonous little clumps that resemble slug food. They are designed to attract slugs and poison them after being consumed. Though it is used to get rid of slugs, it is dangerous to pets. Since it contains poisonous substances, it may cause harm to our pets if they accidentally consume it.

Monterey LG6500 Sluggo Wildlife and Pet Safe Slug Killer, 2.5-Pounds, 2.5 lb
  • SLUG AND SNAIL CONTROL - Sluggo is one of the best snail and slug...
  • SNAIL BAIT ALTERNATIVE - Being a two-in-one bait and killer,...
  • PET AND WILDLIFE SAFE - Sluggo contains iron phosphate which...
  • GRANULAR FORMULA - This repellent comes in an easy-to-use...
  • EFFECTIVE AFTER RAIN - After application, rain or sprinkling will...

Symptoms of Slug Pellet Poisoning in Cats

If slug pellets have poisoned your cat, you’ll notice signs like drooling, vomiting, panting, and anxiousness right away. You’ll also notice flickering in their eyes. Internal organs are injured in extreme cases, and seizures and muscle tremors are observed.

Symptoms of Slug Pellet Poisoning in Dogs

Similar to cats, you’ll notice symptoms like vomiting, heavy breathing, diarrhea, fever, and seizure.

Are Slugs Good for Anything?

Are Slugs Good for Anything

Slugs, despite their reputation as pests, play an important role in our ecosystem. They aid the ecosystem by eating rotting plant material and fungi because they are scavengers. Slugs help to keep the environment in check. Their population benefits other creatures as well. Birds and other mammals graze on them, making them a food source.

Summary

Slugs are not poisonous in general. However, we cannot say that they are 100% safe for humans and pets. Despite the fact that they are not harmful, they may transmit dangerous infections that could harm our children and pets.

The slugs can be eliminated in a variety of methods, but not all these methods are safe for humans and pets. Some methods, such as slug pellets, may be effective at removing slugs but are harmful to our pets.

Despite being called pests, slugs are also considered important contributors to our environment because they provide food to other animals and aid in the decomposition of dead plants, feces, and fungi.

Related: Top 10 Worst Pests That Can Infest Your House | Identification and Control Guide

List of Sources

Rat Lung Worm Disease (Angiostrongylus Cantonensis) Factsheet. (2019). NSW Government.

Odani, J., et al. (2019). Lungworm Disease for the Veterinary Professional. University of Hawaii.

Slug Portal: Common Species. Oregon State University.

Wilen, C., Flint M. (2018). How to Manage Pests – Pests in Gardens and Landscapes: Snails and Slugs. University of California.